Some of AWTHS collections. AWTHS will be a part of Ohio’s Open Doors on September 17 from 1-5pm at 123 West George in Arcanum, Ohio. We are a host site for Ohio Open Doors–a 10 day event when Ohio historic buildings and landmarks open their doors for special tours and events. We’ve created a special
AWTHS had a good question regarding the earliest burial in Twin Township.Per Anita Short’s cemetery readings, we read about Ithaca Cemetery that the oldest stone or burial is RICHARD ROBBINS – d. 3.7.1825 ae 44-7-14 War of 1812. Now this was taken from actual stone readings meaning stones that were still present in the 1960’s.
AWTHS is part of the Historical Society Network, HSN for short, formed out of Preble County Historical Society for like minded historical societies and organizations who are historically engaged and wish to preserve history while helping promote historical societies and activities in general. Please visit the HSN and view the exciting podcasts and archives that
1975 Located behind Arcanum Public Library-once part of Ivester House Recently we posted this question on our AWTHS FB page regarding “What are those little buildings sitting behind a main house”? What was their purpose or what were they called? We received a variety of comments among them: summer kitchen, smoke house, root cellar, storage
Pump shed Twin Twp. which had troughs for cool water to keep food products. A windmill sat on this property at one time. We are continuing our blog series after writing last time about summer kitchens, smoke houses and root cellars. We copy from Wikipedia about springhouses: A spring house, or springhouse, is a small building, usually
Owner Jo Ella McLear Michael from her mother who attended One Room School House This beautiful quilt photo was posted on Franklin-Monroe’s Alumni page by quilt owner, Jo Ella Michael. Jo Ella was asking questions about the location of this school house and after a lengthy discussion between many posters, we gathered the following information